Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Andrew...........

first of all let me confess, I am absolutely and totally in love with another man beside my husband, but i just can't help it! His name is Doctor Buckley, and i don't even know what his first name is, actually i don't know anything about him..... But if you ask me today, or tomorrow, or maybe even next month..... i will tell you that I love him :0).

Dr. Buckley is the man i trusted my son's face with.......... so let me start from the beginning..... and make it brief, or as brief as possible. 8 or 9 years ago, it was noted that Andrew's lower jaw was growing much faster than the upper jaw, there was really nothing anybody could do but wait until he slowed growing, which is usually between 18 and 21. cause he would just out grow his surgery........... years go by, or looking back they seem to fly by.......... his under bite is getting worse, I didn't know the extent until yesterday........but his self esteem was getting worse, soon his upper teeth and lower teeth do NOT touch........ i guess some kids tease him........ he thinks he is a monster. *which he was not, everyone including the doctors thought he covered his under bite quite well, until they looked in his mouth. So Last Summer, we decided no matter what it took........ we would see to it that he was fixed........ a consult with an Orthodontist, a consult with an Oral Surgeon.......... wisdom teeth removed, braces put on.......... thousands of dollars paid.......... Andrew was well on his way!!! and a surgery day was set. I remember really meeting Doctor Buckley in his office for Andrew's preop appointment. (*Christina went with me for that too) It was amazing what this doctor was going to try and do... he would break Andrew's upper jaw, into the sinus cavity and pull it out........ he used this really cool machine and took dozens of measurements so he knew where to put Andrews face in regards to his head, ears, eyes......... he measured to the exact millimeter, explaining that proportionately this is where Andrew's upper jaw should be... he took molds of his upper and lower jaw........ he later told me and Christina, that he will practice "surgery" on the molds. before he does the actual thing......... that was May 7th,.............we wait, we wait 2o days, Andrew is excited, very excited..... i get nervous, i pray a lot....... this is 1000 times worse than me waiting for my surgery. i am scared, i won't lie, they are going to rearrange my baby boy's face.......
Surgery Day is here, and as usual, i can rely on my bestest friend ever, Christina....... always there when i need her!!! Albert's parent were there, and Albert and Bill would be coming later on.... (STRIKE keeping them busy). we are told surgery takes at LEAST 4 hours, more likely 5 hours. we say good bye to Drew..... I trust him in the hands of the Surgeon, I trust him in the hands of God. ...... they wheel him one way, we go the other way........... it is around 10:30 am...... we wait, and calculate when we will see the doctor again..... we assume the earliest time will be 4pm but we won't panic if it is closer to 5 or 6... So we settle in. i really do okay, every now and then, i'd feel a knot grow in the core of my stomach, as i think about Andrew's face being taken off...... and i take a deep breath, and I ask God to give me Peace........ Christina tells me that it is all okay.... she thinks i am doing good........ God is with me, God is with Drew, God is with the nurses and Doctors......... 11'oclock, 11:30, 12'oclock, 1'oclock, 1:30........... tick tock, tick tock.......... 1:55........ the surgeon walks in the waiting room looking for me, i am looking at his face.... trying to read it........ did it go okay?, he is done so early.... did something go wrong? is Andrew okay?.......... we follow him to a little room...... and then he speaks.......... " Andrew did GREAT, surgery went better than perfect, he only lost 200cc's of blood (less than a cup), the bones moved in place with ease, no problems........ your son looks completely different, you will not recognize him......... " God gave this man such incredible talent...... to change a face like a potter molds clay... and I now Love Doctor Buckley.
well seeing Andrew for the first time was "emotional" to say the least, he looks so good, well he looks exactly like Sam, i now have identical twin sons 3 years apart in age. Andrew started crying...... but he wasn't in pain, he was crying cause he was happy, he wanted this so bad, he said with swollen lips, and a closed mouth that........ now kids won't tease him, his dad was on one side of him, and he asked for Bill to be on the other side of him...... his two Dad's whom he adores...... have i ever mentioned how much God has blessed my life....... we surrounded his bed the grandparents, my X husband and my husband, his favorite "aunt" Christina and Me, we were all crying...... this sweet little boy, so appreciative of his family, so appreciative of the sacrifice... so loving, so innocent........ 17 years old, and my little boy.

No comments: