Monday, September 10, 2007

Son life flighted to Pittsburgh this evening

Let me begin with he's going to be okay...... right after dinner today i received a call from the football trainer.......... I know his number by heart as he is always calling for Corey......... Corey hurt his ankle, Corey hurt his thumb......etc. So when i heard "Sandi, this is trainer Matt." I laughed and asked what happened to Corey today?, his voice sounded really weird, like he was really nervous, and he said it's Andrew, and he got hit in the frontal lobe of his skull, and he's not doing well. I immediately left and got to the field within 5 minutes. Andrew looked like a rag doll, he couldn't open his eyes....... and we had to fight him to stay awake, he couldn't walk or talk......he slurred his speech....he complained of severe pain in the head. The ambulance got there, and assessed the situation, and because Andrew wasn't doing any better they decided to life flight him immediately to Childrens Hospital Trauma Unit in Pittsburgh...... Albert, Andrews Dad, went in the helicopter with him, Bill ran home to get a few things need for and if Andrew was admitted to the hospital.. I went with Alberts parents, and drove to the hospital. I can't explain the fear of watching my son get on a helicopter, not knowing what was wrong, not knowing if his brain would swell and he'd lapse into a coma, not knowing if there was a bleed on the brain......... Not knowing, but just trusting all would be okay. Andrew was at the Pittsburgh hospital probably before we even left Saltsburg. I kept my composure pretty good... i didn't want to scare Sammy or Katie, or Andrew for that matter! Didn't want to talk to anyone........ just wanted to let Christina know to start praying...
..... by the time i got to Childrens it was already determined that his brain at this time is NOT swelling, And there is no bleed. He did bruise his brain, and he has a severe concussion. He is admitted, his Dad is with him tonight, and I'll be with him tomorrow. I'll head down tomorrow morning.... So many people immediately started to Pray for Drew, so many people called this evening to tell my daughter just that... so many people left me text messages offering to do anything that I may have needed.... Gosh!!!! so many wonderful beautiful special people in this world....

Andrew wanted his dad to stay tonight...... i know that he's 16 on Thursday...and i know if someone has to see his naked butt, he's going to want his dad and not his mom.

Albert is a wonderful father, Bill is a wonderful stepfather... my children are so blessed. It was sorta funny, The admissions nurse came in and I was answering tons of questions......... and it got to the point where she was asking family history..... who he lives with etc?? Well she found out that he had a father and a step father and she said she usually has to "worry " about that because of anger and fighting.... and i told her she didn't have to worry about it , actually Albert and Bill were at that time together in the cafeteria getting something to eat........ the nurse couldn't believe it.....she asked if we could give classes to 3 dozen families on the floor right now !!! I am blessed

Andrew is growing up, yeah he'll be 16 in a couple days.... but in my heart, he was a little baby boy being pulled from me as the helicopter took off.......God, i know though, he never leaves your grasp, and I trust you!

Goodnight

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandi you know I'm not one for prayer but I gotta tell you,between you,Kellie and Kim...
well I'm learning.

(((HUGS)))
for you,your children and the two fathers. Andrew is a lucky boy!

Love you woman

Monica

Unknown said...

My mom and I both are saying prayers for Drew. It's great to hear that he's going to be okay, though! Please keep in touch and let us know how everything is, and if we can do anything for you.

Patti Rambles On said...

Thank God he's okay.
How scary. I got chills just reading about it.

Kellie said...

Sandy I am so glad he will be OK. Please know that we are praying here for you all. If you need to talk or anything I am always around. Take care of YOU too girlie!!! I gotta say that for reasons like this I am kind of glad that Nate will never play FB again. We will always be the Mother Bears protecting our cubs.

Love ya all
Kellie