Monday, July 20, 2009

Antiques

I found this in the "to go to the dumpster" pile while I was helping my brother Chris move. This piece of furniture is so heavy, made of sold wood. Chris' wife doesn't know how old this is, it was always in her grandfathers garage as a work station, she knows that it was there in the late 50's early 60's...... I fell in love with it..... and i fell in love with it just as it is. I'd like to preserve it from this point on, somebody said i could sand it down, get new hardware, etc........ I don't think i want too. I'd like to put something on to protect it from deteriorating from this point on. I want the gouges, and scratches, and old rusty hardware, my mind wonders as i imagine a man, 50 + years ago working at this table in the late evenings, maybe fixing or making a toy for his sons, or making something beautiful for his wife. I'd like to keep it near my front door, place candles and potted flowers, and pots of fresh herbs on it to greet friends and family , maybe i'll place gourds and pumpkins and jack o lanterns on it, with a basket of apples in the fall. I can store the bird seed, and my gardening tools inside it. In the winter, it will make a nice place to put fresh garland and pine on it, and a few Christmas decorations.... the possibilities.........
As i think about this beautiful old piece of furniture, i think of it in terms of myself....... i am by no means old, at 42 i am still pretty young. but i look at my hands, they aren't the hands i knew 35 years ago, ......making mud pies in the dirt, grabbing a tree limb as i climb the neighborhood trees, holding my mom and dads hand, they aren't the same hands i remember 20 years ago, when the ring was placed on my left hand, the same hand that stroked the soft skin of my babies cheek, and made the first meals for my new husband. I look at my hands now, i am starting to get age spots, and minor wrinkles, and scars that although faded, will always be there.... thinking about it, they look like my mother's hands did years ago...... when i first noticed that my mom wasn't going to stay young forever. Hey and i've just been talking about my hands. I could mention the gray in my hair, and umm body parts that aren't in the same place that they were in 20 years ago. and new wrinkles and blemishes and stretch marks. BUT with age brings wisdom, understanding, and acceptance. I spent those younger years, always trying to be different...... maybe a better cook, maybe a little thinner,......maybe a better housekeeper....... I am learning, That I am who I am, and i am loving me more now than i ever have. with my flaws and all. I am even looking at my weight loss journey in a new light..... i am in no hurry, and i am having so much fun..... my goal is not to get to a certain weight or size, right now my goal is to hike 10 miles, and ride my bike to work. I know i will never be a size 6, and i will never have a 20 year old body........ But i will take what God has given me, and be proud of it....
Well i should get going, have to get ready for work, make myself breakfast....pack my lunch, and drink 3 glasses of water before i do anything......... Have a wonderful week.....

No comments: