Friday, June 26, 2009

60 vs 90

I so enjoy reading my friend Patti's blog~ always a plethora of information. Recipe's, Cooking, Healthy Eating, and Exercise tips..... yesterday she mentioned that they say that after 5 years, even after gastric bypass surgery, the success rate is 60 %. thinking about it, that is just a little over half in my favor after such drastic measures. I knew this going into it..... the year of preparation, i was told this over and over again. They certainly didn't sweet coat the surgery in any way. And i was told if i didn't change my life style, I prob would not get as heavy as I was, but i had a good chance of regaining 75% of my "lost" weight back. So in that year of preparation~ they worked with me~ they taught me skills ~ do you remember how excited i was when i first learned to Chew? just the simple process of slowing down and chewing my food slowly/ the simple process of mindfulness, of just knowing what I am eating. the importance of water, and exercise, and self honesty...... those are the tools i've incorporated over a year ago. Now sadly the statistics for the weight regain after 5 years without the drastic surgery is approx 90% some like to say 95% but they say that number is debatable, and some places use that as a scare tactic to beef up their magic weightloss infomercials. I believe that number, and sadly I have been a part of that number many times. I even look back from an old weight loss sight i used to belong too........ and most of the people i knew, did gain their weight back. How many times did i try weight watchers? seriously i think 10 or 15, Atkins, South Beach. Look at Oprah, Kirsty Ally,...... Look at me. I am 100% with Patti on this, I will not say " i will NEVER gain the weight back". Somebody once told my friend that even with the surgery, ~i will always have to watch my weight~ you're darn right I will. and i better not forget that. I believe that with my mental mindset now, and the tools i learned...... WW's could help, Jenny Craig could help, South Beach, A Gym membership. With the program i am in, I need to be seen extensively for two more years, their hope is as i continue to work with the Lapband, what i've learned will become second nature, and my skills will become habits.....
I go for my second visit, since my surgery. there is a good chance that the second adjustment is the one that will officially make my little stomach pouch.... so they say......... we shall see. I am going to work for a couple of hours, and then my appointment in Pittsburgh, then back to work for a couple hours, and i will stay there and clean so my weekend is free..... I'll let you know how things are going. Have a beautiful weekend, after all, it's your choice.
PS the damn Pennsylvania Humidity..... can't find anything positive about it...... well except maybe the awesome evening storms we get, what an incredible light show it was last night........

No comments: