Friday, August 27, 2010

well .... NOT SO GOOD

.... had an appointment with my foot doctor yesterday, not "stoved" and not broken. although broken would have been nice :0).
He told me that from my Xrays 4 years ago my bones were already starting to move in the wrong direction, and because of this my big toe and joint is starting to freeze, however freezing totally out of alignment. So along with several bone spurs in the area, I have a bunion that is almost to the severe stage.
Maybe if i was a sedentary person, I would have gone years before it got to this point........ but in the past two years i've been anything but sedentary........... and this month hitting the 100 + mark by hiking/biking............
Yesterday He put a shot directly into and between the bone and joints..... prob 7 or 8 spots, although he "froze" the area first, .......... It hurt like Hell, and after a minute it went numb.
Prognosis............ can and will be Excellent....... however realistically this is not going to realign itself.... we are going to try a few things...... He did say with this and with my life style and goals He Will Be Aggressive........ He will prob have to go in and physically alter the bones........ meaning Another pretty serious foot surgery down the road.
I left the office and went back to work, the toe felt great ( okay the toe felt numb) AND THEN TWO HOURS LATER......... an incredible amount of pain, it throbbed so bad, i actually shed tears, and the first time i tried to step on my foot..... OMG, i couldn't do it. Thankfully it is my left foot, cause i don't think i could have pushed a pedal. finally home, more ice......... elevation, and bed... i was up most of the night..... today it feels burning with periods of throbbing....... but a very small improvement.
THE BIG QUESTION: can i still hike/bike? and the answer is Yes. I told him yesterday "doc help me here, because i am not stopping. he understood and agreed to an extent. What is , is. and although walking will cause me more pain, as long as i don't over do it, it really isn't going to change my bone structure......... its not like a ligament or something that if you rest, it heals.... the bone will be a bone regardless. He said if I can, try and bike more....... i'll have to watch how i put my foot on the pedal, he suggested to try and swimming for cardio, lift weights...... maybe hike every other day and not daily......... (Christina will love that :-), unless she gets a bike then i'll make her bike with me on the off days........ ps hey Chris bikes are on clearance!!! and i promise you won't have to look like a nerd like i do ;0). I should mention that my foot automatic tries to compensate for the deformity, which in the long run can cause more damage..... that is why i will prob eventually have it fixed.......... back to Dr in 10 days.
It is a beautiful day, may God Bless You..... i know that he blesses me every second.

No comments: